Question
Posted by: MAMS | 2005/06/28

HEMOCHROMATISIS

What is hemochromatisis

Expert ImagePharmacist

Mams, I'm not a medical doctor and all I can help with would be giving a general explanation of the condition. For more in-depth information you'll have to speak to a doctor. A general definition states that hemochromatisis (iron overload) is a hereditary blood disorder that causes the body to retain excessive amounts of iron well beyond that needed to replace the body's loss of iron. The condition causes excessive iron storage in various organs of the body including the liver, pancreas, heart, skin and joints. This accumilation of iron in the mentioned organs can lead complications, including heart failure, liver cancer, and cirrhosis of the liver.
Treatment may include phlebotomy, a procedure that involves drawing blood to rid the body of excess iron storage. This can be performed as often as two times a week for a year. Limited diet iron ingestion may also be an option of treatment. In some severe cases treatment with desferal is also initiated.