Posted by: Celeste | 2009/06/26


Hi my hubby has been abusing tik and alcohol then went to rehab and then he was clean of tik for more than a year and he started drinking again after being sober for 9 months. i just want to know how i can help him to cope with addiction. he is trying but failing all the time how can I support him and help hom realize that there' s more to life. he says he is in emotional termoil( he has been diagnosed with depression) and using helps him cope. he says at least when he is hight he knows how he feels.Please help.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageArchive

If you can find a group near you, it might be a good idea to encourage your husband to join an AA group and attend regularly. They have a website and you should be able to find them by
Secondly, using alcohol to cope with depression is a very bad idea as the alcohol is likely to infact make the depression worse in the long run, as it acts as a depressant physiologically. If you are able, encourage your husband to seek psychological help for his depression. The South African Depression and Anxiety Group (SADAG) may be a useful resource on this topic too:

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Dyllon | 2009/06/26

Hi Celeste, perhaps your husband is just bored and should get involved in a hobby or outdoor activities (e.g. hiking). I am not a doctor but do have an addictive personality and when I get bored I relapse. My drugs of choice are Dagga and Alcohol. When I quit the one I tend to abuse the other but if my mind is occupied I can go without either.

Reply to Dyllon
Posted by: Been there | 2009/06/26

(unprofessional answer) Hi there, has your husband considered therapy? There may be underlying causes to your husbands drinking and therapy can help. The therapist can also diagnose him and can refer him to a doctor for anti-depressants which might help in the long run. It' s really good that he was sober for so long, but its important to belong to a support group like AA. good luck

Reply to Been there

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.