Posted by: friend | 2008/10/23

helping a friend

Hi there ,

Need your advise please , I have a friend that battles with Bipolar mostly on the lows , His working conditions are very stressful has 17 African offices and 8 local branches to control . He has been trying to find other work that is not so stressful but without any luck . Last week he told me he went to sit on a bridge as he wanted to end his life does not want to let work or family down . What can I do for him he has been on all types on meds without any luck last option is shock treatment but does not really like the idea and is scared of going that route . He has told his manager he is stressed out and depressed but the answer h gets is not too worry its life and we all stress out . Come weekends he stays in doors as he does not want to face the world . Is there no way he can go on disability as he is on a pension fund at the company ? I just don’ t know what to do for him anymore and he is not getting any better . He is at the age of 40 stable marriage most of the time fortunenatly his wife looks after the money side as when he was on his highs he was a big spender . what is the next step for me he sees his Shirk regularly but does not tell him about the stress at the office and wants to kill himself as opposed to resigning as he said he will let the family down

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

He obviously needs urgent help, and to realize that suicide would let EVWERYBODY down, especially himself. The problems of controlling his lows ( some mood stabilizing drugs are better at doing that ), the stress at work and the suicidal impulses, need urgently to be discussed with his shrink. Maybe the shrink also needs to call his dumb manager to explain what is happening and what could happen. ALL employers are required to make adjustments to acomodate an employees illnesses and vulnerabilities, and not to disregard them so carelessly. Going on disability might or might not be a goopd thing for him, but needs to be discussed with his shribnk as it would not be granted without the written support of his shrink. Can you perhaps ask his wife to bring these extra elements to the attention of his shrink, who may be unaware of them if he chooses to not bring them up ?

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.