Posted by: Happiness | 2009/10/01

Helping a depressed friend

A friend of mine who is now divorced, was married to a physically, emotionally and verbally abusive husband. She was a virgin when she married and had no past relationship experience since the husband was the first. The husband' s family offered no support instead they made things worse. She was married for five years and not for once was she ever happy during those years. My friend is a strong and dertemined and independant woman. The only problem is she has not recovered from the abuse she suffered when she was married even though she has been divorced for more than two years. Just the mention of her husband sends her down the crazy road. Sometimes her body feels heavy she can' t sit up on a bed. She has been to a therapist before since this situation was affecting her work, but it did not help much. I read that some therapists are not that good on trauma survivors. I just need help with finding the good ones, who will help her.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

She surely deserves the help of a good local shrink therapist to help her work through and free herself from, the years of abuse. But it MUST be a CBT ( Cognitive-behaviour Therapist ) as wishy-washy obsolete analytical type "therap| is worse than useless. As Liza says, the Anxiety-Depression support group can help find someone with this capability.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Liza | 2009/10/01

Call the depression and anxiety group helpline. They will be able to help with the details of good doctors/therapists close to where she stays. Going to a therapist who just rehashes what happened in the past will not help. She needs to see a therapist specializing in CBT to help her cope with her feelings now. She might even need to see a psychiatrist and use anti-depressants for a while until she feels better.

Good Luck

Reply to Liza

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.