Question
Posted by: charm | 2003/01/18

Help with PCOS

Dear DietDoc

I am 23 and have been diagnosed with PCOS. I would like to know if there are specific diets to cater for people with this condition, or if the usual low fat high fiber diets are adequate to help get rid of the extra kgs. I am also very confused about how healthy low-carb diets are. I keep hearing conflicting opinions- what do you think?

Thanks for your help.

Dear Charm
Seeing that this syndrome usually also involves insulin resistance and elevated blood fats, I would rather that you use a low-fat, high-fibre diet plus exercise to lose weight. A high protein diet will only make the blood fats increase even more. It may also be a good idea to consult a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5640 (mornings) for your nearest dietitian), who will design a diet that takes your multi-factorial condition into account.