Question
Posted by: Shell | 2008/01/26

Help with losing the baby pouch

My son is a year and a half old and Im desperate to try and rid myself of a "pouch" over my lower tummy area. (I could still pass for pregnant) I currently walk 10kms three times a week and a shorter distance twice weekly. Im still overweight, but getting there!

- Is it important for me to pick up my pace whilst walking. I walk at the fastest speed comfortable, but should I be pushing myself to go faster?

- What do I need to do to loose the pouch?

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Good job so far. The fact that you're getting there should be all the motivation you need to keep going! As long as you're moving, you know your goal is realistic!

As for the pace, yes, over time you will pick it up. But that usually happens very naturally, because what is comfortable for you today will become very easy for you by mid-February. So what should happen is that you'll walk a little faster, or a little further each time. Those kinds of goals are actually very helpful and should be built in. For example, if you are currently managing to walk 10 km in 90 minutes, then a good target is to say that by mid-Feb, you'll be doing the same distance in 85minutes. Or broken down, you might want to alternate maybe 5 minutes of normal paced walking with 5 minutes of faster walking - by faster, I mean you're still OK, still comfortable, but you feel that if you had do walk at that pace for say 10 minutes, you'd be struggling.

So that little change is probably a good thing to do. You may even develop into the stage where you are jogging for 5 minutes at a time in your walks. That would be good too. Don't overdo it, of course, but regular exercise and at the higher intensities definitely will help you.

In terms of what else you can do, not much at this stage. The fact that you're on the way to improving, and that you have this chance to progress by increasing the speed you walk are good for now. I would set a goal to say that in say 1 month or 6 weeks, you're walking faster, further and more comfortably than you are now. If you get there, the weight will take care of itself!

1
Posted by: Mercer | 2008/04/27

!"£$€%&)(~~~~~~~!"£$€%&()~

Reply to Mercer