Question
Posted by: Mark | 2004/11/12

Help with lifting Weights

I am 16 years old and i have and anverage but Skinny figure I would like to kno if its alright for me to start getting on a Gym program that will increase my body mass make my upperbody and Theighs bigger cuz to be honest there not big enough, please help ?

thank you.

Hi Mark

You can start to lift, but it's really important that you stay well away from the very heavy weights. This is vital because you are still growing and it can be a little risky to use really big weights at this stage. So, I would suggest that you only lift a weight that you find fairly easy to lift. For example, if you are doing a particular exercise, you can either lift a weight 8times (if it's quite heavy) and do 3 sets of 8reps, or you can lift 15 times, where you use a much lighter weight, and then do 2 or 3 sets of 15 reps on this lighter weight. I think that you need to go for the second option here and lift light.