Question
Posted by: poppy | 2007/04/17

Help with jogging please..

I've recently started jogging and i would like to know if the pain in my throat is normal when im jogging. I'm relatively unfit, but i am taking it easy and I alternate between running and walking. On average we do -+ 3km's every 2nd night. But when i'm finished i am terribly dizzy and cough for while. I don't eat before i run, although i try not to run on a completely empty stomach either. Is the dizziness from low sugar? and what can i do about it?
Is there any particular breathing pattern i should be concentrating on while jogging?

All tips and comments welcome!!!!

Hi Poppy

I think that it might help, just for a week or two, to mix walking in with your jogging rather than just run straight through. For example, you are probably doing 20 minutes now, what if you broke it up into 3 sets of 7 minutes, and walked for 2 minutes in between each one? that would help.

it is also possible that your dizziness is caused by low blood sugar, but is unlikely given that you are only running for 20 or so minutes, and so maybe more likely is blood pressure. That will stabilize and become less and less of a problem as you get fitter, and so again, the walking and running mix will help you there. So I would try that for a week or two and see what happens as you get fitter.

It's important that you get fitter before making any kind of assessment, and I know from experience that when one starts out running, things feel very wrong and abnormal and they kind of miraculously disappear once you get fit. I'm sure that one day, you will look back and wonder what all the fuss was about!