Question
Posted by: Tieta | 2006/04/19

Help with Dobermann

Dear All

We live on a farm, with 4 dogs.

1. Alsation cross Ridgeback spayed bitch
2. Jack Russell spayed bitch
3. Dachshund spayed bitch
4. Dobermann male, 1 years 4 months

Please help us. The dobermann drives us nuts. He's taking out all the micro irrigaition in the yard, as well as digging holes with both feet, so its big holes! He cannot settle down and wrecks havoc wherever he runs. He's like a horse!

So I get very annoyed with him. We put a chain on him with a wire, so that he can only get to certain areas of the lawn, and its a biggish area he can live in. But when he gets out, he eats everything, even our plastic chairs outside on the stoep!

Is there anything we can do to settle him down a bit?!

Please help.

Yes, there is something you could do. The most important thing is not to yell and get angry with him. They are like children, if they get disciplined all the time, they see that its the only way they get your attention, so they look for things to do wrong. What I would suggest is to keep your dogs brain stimulated the hole time. If you start clicker training with the dog, he would want to do things to please you and be at your every call to do something for you. The destructiveness is mostly boredom, loneliness, frustration and attention seeking.
If you need more information, you could either phone me on 083 324 8423 or goto www.animal-behaviour.org.za and find an accredited animal behaviourist to do an assessment for you and give you detailed advise.
Smacking and getting angry just will increase your problem.

CDV
Animal Behaviourist

3
Posted by: Dobie | 2006/04/19

Hi Tieta,
I know exactly how you feel. Years ago I too had a dobie who did the same thing yours is doing, but we lived in town in a cul-de-sac with 5 neighbours..........his favorite thing was to jump over the wall into my neighbours yard, walk thru her yard untill her dog saw him and started barking then jump into the next yard and so on untill he had woken all the dogs in all 5 yards.......then he would lie on the porch with a silly grin on his face and listen, the dogs in the yards where yard 1 a staffie, yard 2 a German Shepherd and a Toy Pom, yard 3, 2 Retrievers yard 4 a Bull Terrier and yard 5, 2 German Shepherds and a Jack Russell. I made my walls higher, he still went over. He scaled a 2 metre wall with ease. I had him neutered did not help, My sons would take him for long runs ,they on bikes he running along, they were tired out he still had energy to spare. We took him to training school, he excelled as dobes are highly intelligent but he would still act the clown at home and off the leash. He too would eat anything from potscourers, nails, putty, even my pin cushion full of pins, the kids toys (they made sure they put them away) and he would dig holes you could hide in, He DID grow out of that when we fenced in a portion of ground for him and buried his chews etc to teach him this was his "sandpit". Then we moved out to a plot next to the sea, He found a new hobby, jumping on crabs on the beach, he would leave the yard very early in the morning and sit with the fishermen on the beach, everyone gave him the nickname smiley, he would run for miles on the beach chasing seagulls and jumping in the waves, he loved to swim as well but he stayed a puppy until he died at the age of 10 but his zest for life never waivered, never slowed down, but he also never got into a fight with any dog, they were all his friends, I know this doesnt help with your problem but maybe your little one will also be a puppy for life 1 who never grows up but also leaves a lot of memories that bring a smile to your face when you think back to those days. Enjoy your Dobe and I really hope he too gives you a lot of laughs and happy memories.

Reply to Dobie
Posted by: Acineth | 2006/04/19

You could try taking him into areas he's not used to being and showing him what is accepted behaviour. For instance, you could take him to the stoep armed with a water bottle. Spray him if he misbehaves and praise him when he does soemthing right.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: WR | 2006/04/19

Hi Tieta!
Well, firstly, he is still but a puppy, displaying (sounds like) playful, mischievous puppy behaviour. Secondly getting him neutered will (probably) calm him down a bit. The puppy playfulness can last for a while still, but maybe the neutering helps.
Good luck!

Reply to WR