Question
Posted by: jpixieg | 2007/04/30

Help - URGENT

What are the side effects of Venteze 4mg 3times daily during pregnancy, prescribed for threatened miscarriage during second trimester? Urgent - read the contra-indications where it says it should not be used?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Salbutamol is known to cross the placental barrier in humans. The reason for the note in the package insert is that safety for use in pregnancy has not been demonstrated, therefore salbutamol should not be used in pregnant women, unless prescribed by a doctor

1
Posted by: My two cents' worth | 2007/05/01

Usually when Venteze is prescribed, it is used to treat an acute asthma attack by relaxing the smooth muscle of the bronchi in the lungs. As Venteze works by relaxing other smooth muscle in the body as well, it also relaxes the smooth muscle of the uterus, whereby reducing the probability of uterus contraction and premature labour. Your doctor prescribed this medicine for you as the risk of premature labour in your case is very high and this benefit the medicine gives outweighs the other risks.
Normally, one would not use Venteze on a chronic basis whilst pregnant but only if prescribed (or discussed with) by your physician.

Reply to My two cents' worth