Question
Posted by: BM | 2007/06/05

Help Pls - cant anymore - constantly ill

Hi Cyberdoc, I really need your help. I've been sick for almost 2 months already with reoccurring chest and throat infections, bronchitis, ear infection all accompanied by a terrible cough. On top of that I've got the flu and was down with fever. After the bout of flu, I decided to change my doctor as I've been to my doc 3 times already. I've been on antibiotics 3 times in this time, I've been on prednizones...and have been living off of cough mixtures but I just dont seem to come right. I have this nasty little cough, which wont leave me and there's constantly phlem on my chest. I also suffer from insulin resistant for 2 yrs and I'm on metformin. I was told that the insulin resistance is lowering my bodies resistance to all the different germs. I've now decided to try viral choice and vita-thion just to build up my immune system, Is there anything else I can do to get better...I'm really becoming depressed and being sick is starting to interfere with my work. Please help

Dear BM
Many times this can be caused by a post nasal drip due to chronic sinusitis that keeps on infecting your lungs and throat from the top as the phlegm runs down your throat as you sleep. The infection can also cause a type of irritation asthma or a chronic bronchitis which can cause a dry irritating cough all the time. I agree with the viral choice and vita thion but wonder if you should not maybe see an ENT specialist and have sinus x/rays or MR Scan - if this is the problem you need to take Flagyl and a wide spectrum antibiotic for at least 10 days. I also find that rinsing your nose with saltwater ( 1 cup on 1/2 teasp salt) makes the phlegm loose and clears the sinuses. Have they sent away the sputum to the lab to test and see if you have a resistant kind of bacteria?