Posted by: Antoinette | 2009/03/30

Help pls.

Hello doc

Something is seriously wrong with me, I am dead tired after I have eaten, I can barely keep my eyes open. I eat a healthy low fat, high fibre diet but don' t seem to be able to keep awake. I have had al bloodtests done, and nothing was wrong.

What would be best, eating 3 times a day or 6 times. I am not overweight and exercise 3-4 times a week for 45min.
I am going to cut out all coffee from tomorrow, I drink about 4 cups with sweetner a day.
All that sometimes help is eating sugar, plain white sugar. This is really having an effect on my work, because I am totally drenched.

I average between 5 and 7 hours of sleep a night - have small children.

Thank you for your help.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Antionette
The following factors can cause the type of exhaustion you describe: a) Iron or vitamin B12 deficiency anaemia, b) Low thyroid function, c) Hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar levels due to excess insulin production) d) Depression. From what you say, I would deduce that you have a blood sugar problem such as reactive hypoglycaemia. You say you have had blood tests but don't mention which ones?? Did you have a so-called glucose tolerance test done or your blood ferritin levels checked? If you do suffer from reactive hypoglycaemia (which I suspect is the problem) then you would need to eat a strict low-GI diet and divide your food intake into 6 small meals a day. But this will of course not solve the problem if your exhaustion is due to low iron or vit B12 levels, thyroid deficiency or depression. You will have to try and figure out which one of these potential causes could be causing your tiredness and then decide if you need to see a physician, a clinical psychologist or a clinical dietitian.
I hope that you can work out what is going on so that you can find a solution.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.