Posted by: Joey | 2011/05/05


Good day doc,

I am writing for some advice on behalf of a friend. It is a long story, but worth reading.

She had a cancerous tumor on her leg about 20 years ago. She was sent for radiation which went horribly wrong. Her leg was over radiated and resulted in a mass of rock hard flesh (if you can call it that). She has no feeling on this section - it basically looks like dead muscle.

2 months ago, she noticed a lump on this part of the leg, and went to the doctor who prescribed anti biotics for an infection. 4 days after seeing the doctor she sufferred a massive heart attack and was in hospital, stented and was sent home after 1 week. Back and forth to the doctor because she retained water, the lump on the leg remained and got bigger, and eventually burst open about 6 weeks ago.

She has since been to the doctor 3 times for anti-biotics, the infection remains, and the wound won''t heal/close. She has to dress the wound every 2 hours, as a watery substence keeps oozing out of the open wound. The gp has referred her to a surgeon/specialist - claiming it is a " keliod"  or " proudflesh" .

She has seen the specialist yesterday, but he gave her no straight answers. He has taken a sample and sent it away and wants her to have a CTI scan. The problem is that she only has a hospital plan, and cannot afford to pay for a CTI scan. The results of the sample will be known tomorrow.

Her leg is swollen and hot, the vains are throbbing. She is losing weight and looks dehydrated/drawn.

My question is: Is there someone/somewhere she can go to get some answers in a hurry. Or if anyone out there knows how we can help this poor woman, please contact me urgently.

She is constantly depressed and crying as one can understand.

All your suggestions will be appreciated.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


Due to the poor general health of your friend, I will suggest that she is admitted to hospital where all the necessary tests can be done which will be paid for by the medical aid. If she appears dehydrated, it is possible that she has abnormal micro-elements, i.e. potassium and chloride. Rehydration is therefore, necessary by means of an intravenuous line.

I really think that her condition needs to be investigated and I will appreciate feedback regarding the investigations done.


Dr Anrich

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Joey | 2011/05/09

Good afternoon Dr Anrich,

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately the news is not good. The test of the biopsy sample came back and is cancerous/malignant. She is currently trying to find out the way forward.


Reply to Joey

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.