Question
Posted by: Wendyy | 2005/11/17

help on breakfast

i'm 20weeks pregnant and lactose intolerant so my breakfast is not always nice since i eat cereals with water. my gynae advised me to take soya milk but i can't stand the taste. do u perhaps have an idea of how i can make my breakfast nicer(except for bacon&eggs stuff) and if it means taking soya milk any ideas on which cereals to take with soya milk

Dear Wendy
Congratulations on your pregnancy. If you don't like the taste of soya milk, then I must admit that I am also at a loss as to what you could eat with cereals. Does your lactose intolerance also preclude the use of yoghurt? Some individuals with lactose intolerance can use yoghurt (most of the lactose is removed by the fermentation process). You may find that you won't react and that you can use yoghurt with the cereals. I think the gynae suggested the use of soya milk because he/she is worried that you will not ingest sufficient calcium for you and the baby if you have to cut out all milk and dairy products. I trust that you are taking a calcium supplement that supplies at least 1000 mg of calcium a day? If not, ask your gynae to prescribe such a supplement to ensure that you ingest sufficient calcium.
Enjoy your rpegnancy