Question
Posted by: Conn | 2004/11/23

Help: No apetite for water

I have always had problems with having apetite for water. There seem to be that lack of apetite for it. Sometimes I can spend two weeks without drinking water. When I do, it's usually half a glass. Nowadays I mix water with concentrated fruit juice. I enjoy this and can drink about three litres per day. Is this the same as water? Is it OK if I don't drink pure water?

Dear Conn
Humans need to ingest 2-3 liters of LIQUID a day - so you can drink tea (esp rooibos), coffee, milk, fruit juice, cold drinks, soda water, flavoured water, spring water, etc to provide you with your liquid intake.
Enjoy

2
Posted by: science | 2004/11/24

Water-drinking doesn't come naturally to many people, me included. I had to teach myself to drink water, and it took about a week of forcing myself to get the stuff down without feeling nauseous. I got myself a 1 liter bottle of water and a glass which stays on my desk, and I drink a glass every now and then until the liter is gone by about 12h00. Then I refill the liter bottle and do the same until about 16h00 (I find if I drink water any later I keep running to the loo all night). It takes some practise, but the rewards as far appetite suppression and also one's skin is concerned are amazing.

Basically, as with everything regarding diet, it takes discipline until it becomes routine.

GOOD LUCK!!

Reply to science
Posted by: charlene | 2004/11/23

Before I started my diet 2 weeks ago I NEVER drank water. Like in never. I only drank coffee and cooldrink. Because I know there's lots of benefits when it comes to drinking water I started a 'water planner'. Every morning I write on a piece of paper how many glasses of water Im going to drink. Say for example every hour I drink 1 glass until I reach my goal of 10 glasses. And if I must say so myself I am very proud of myself. If I feel I've had enough I stop. Otherwise I make myself 'naar'.
What I also do sometimes is mixing about 1 teaspoon of lemonjuice with my water. It helps alot and I've read on various websites that it is very healthy, as it cleanses your liver.
After these two weeks I am very, very proud of myself. Even though I've lost only 3 kgs, I feel so much better and my skin is glowing and already I'm getting complements.
Try to take it slow. Start with let's say 5 glasses of water a day. You'll soon enough get used to it. Then as the days go by you can up your intake bit by bit until you reach your 8 glasses.
Oh, and what I also do is I drink my glass of water as quickly as I can. Because if I only take 1 sip at a time I'm only fooling myself, I won't drink it.

Reply to charlene