Question
Posted by: Kel | 2006/07/17

Help needed - when to worry

Dear CyberDoc,

Apologies for asking you the question, but I feel that you can be a bit more explainitory than the GynaeDoc (no offence intended)

I have a regular 28 day cycle and have had my whole life. Last year I miscarried and we have been trying again to fall pregnant. My last period was on the 13th June and I was due to start my period on the 11th July. I have been feeling nauseas, tired and have been getting headaches. I went to see my doc who did a pregnancy test and the test was negative.

What I would like to know is, could it have been too early to do a pregnancy test when it was done last week? And, should I not be pregnant, what could be the delay in my menstrual cycle starting and how long should I wait before I consider seeing my Gynae to ensure that there are not any problems?

I look forward to your reply....

Thank you.

Hi Kel
I think you should just repeat the preggie test - it usually starts showing up 2 weeks after your ovulation and you may have just done it a touch too early. If it is negative, don't worry, we are not made like alarmclocks and you cycle may vary from month to month. Stress etc may also influence your cycle and make you skip one or make the cycle longer than normal. If you skip 2 months, you need to get a sonar of the uterus and ovaries. I have heard about patients where the pregnancy test only became positive a few weeks into the pregnancy. The beta HCG blood test is the most sensitive to use. One would typically see an increase in the beta HCG levels as a pregnancy develop.