Question
Posted by: M | 2004/10/19

Help needed - hypoglycaemic

Hello doc,

I've been diagnosed as hypoglycaemic and my blood sugar levels are really low. So my doctor put me on a very strict diet and i'm just allowed to eat low GI food.
According to her i should also lose about 7kg's.
My problem is this for losing weight i'v always found that breads and carbs let me GAIN weight, so i'v cut it back to minimun over last few years. Now on this diet i must eat 4 portions a day - cereal, bread (seadloaf though for low GI) and somedays low GI rice. I must also eat fruit inbetween etc!
I've been on this now almost a week and i feel bloated all the time and it seems as if i gained weight instead of dropping!
Is this normal? Will it change? Am i doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Dear M
The use of foods with a low GI is essential if you suffer from hypoglycaemia. The problem is that I cannot judge what component of the carb foods is giving you this reaction. On the one hand it could be the sudden increase in dietary fibre that is causing the bloating, or it could be any number of other potential allergens such as the soya flour that is often added to bread. If it is the dietary fibre then you can try the following: go back to eating only one of the carbs (e.g. the fruit once a day) - monitor how you feel, if ok then add another carb like the brown rice, see how you feel, etc. This should enable you to identify which low GI carbs give you a reaction and which do not. You would then have to avoid these specific carbs in future. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the Glycaemic Index for additional information.