Posted by: Worried Sis | 2007/12/10

Help needed from a professional

Hi there,

I just found out over the weekend that my sister has been raped twice. Once when we were very small by someone who climbed through our bedroom window. She never told the truth about what actually happened, I always thought he just touched her but she told me on Friday night in tears, shaking. Also when she was 17 she fell pregnant. My over protective father had a fit and forced an abortion. I thought she just had a miscarriage. I never had an idea!! This story also came out on Friday night. She was repeatedly raped that night she fell pregant, never told my parents what really happened cause she felt she brought it over herself. She never received proper counselling for any of these incidents. I am worried sick and blame my parents. I need to know what I can do to help her. I am looking for the contact details of a good psychiatrist(sp?) in Pta. I need to take her asap. She is now 35 and feel she is taking her guilt out on her children. Do you have any idea what i need to budget for this?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

It does indeed sound as though your parents handled the incident they knew about deplorably, though maybe she never gave them the information they needed to recognize that happened ? Anyhow, she needs to see a good local shrink for a full assessment and treatment advice, which will need to include realistic CBT style counselling.
Try calling FAMSA who should be able to suggest someone

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Maria | 2007/12/11

See if you can get hold of a lady called Yvonne Retief, perhaps via FAMSA. She used to specialise in counselling for adults who were sexually abused as children. Unfortunately I don't have contact details, but you could also try the phone book.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Worried Sis | 2007/12/11

Thanks for your suggestions. I have called Lifeline, they are very sympathetic but cannot help me in Pta. Everything is in Jhb. I now have other numbers to call in Jhb (Family Life Centre) to see if they have something in Pta. Bit of a struggle it seems. Surely there must be something in Pta?

Thanks again.

Reply to Worried Sis
Posted by: Sue | 2007/12/10

You can call Lifeline .. they do counseling and its free they do accept donations if you feel you want to give something.

They really good

Reply to Sue
Posted by: Tango | 2007/12/10

Its very sad what she has kept in for so long, but thankfully she has managed to share it with you.

Why not start at a GP and ask for a referral to a Psychologist / Psychiatrist in Pretoria?

She is lucky to have you alongside at this time.

Reply to Tango

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.