Question
Posted by: Retha | 2008/01/26

Help needed

I am a 31 year old mother of one, who has recently been diagnosed with a terminal illness. I am in a wheelchair and have great difficulty moving around.
I am unable to find a professional (psychologist/psychiatrist etc..) to help us with family and grief counselling. I have spent hours and a lot of money phoning half the yellow pages. I have moderate speech impairment, so this was very hard. Most healthcare professionals have never even heard of my disease and have no wheelchair access.
I have MND (Motorneuron Disease) also known as ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis).
Please could you help us by recommending someone? The SA MND organisation sent me to a psychologist who had his offices on the third floor of a building, with no lift, and then made me pay for the "visit".
Please help.
Retha

So sorry to hear of this situation Retha. I would think that the local branch of the Cancer Association and the nearest Hospice ougght to know of shrinks with experience in grief work, and FAMSA also ought to know of this, and of course would know of counsellors experiences ion family work. I would expect psychologists to know of MND and ALS, and any psychiatrist who hasn't heard of them is an idiot who slept through both his basic medical training and his required neurological experience during his specialty training. They might not have had direct personal experience of these conditions within their practice because they're not common, but that's a different matter
And any shrink who charges you for a visit when they are careless enough to have offices inaccessable to anyone with a disability ought to be reported to the Medical Council / Health Professions Council. NO general health professional ought to practice without wheelchair and other access for the disabled, at least not without warning the person when appointments are made.
try those three agencies locally --- and maybe other readers will have ideas --- though you didn't remind us where you live