Question
Posted by: Domestic Violence | 2003/12/04

Help Needed

Hi There!

I have a friend in Jhb that is victim of domestic violence. She has 2 young children & is staying with him because of financial reasons. Abuse is getting worse. Any contact numbers that you can suggest of organisations that will be able to help? I'm in Cape Town, so I can't do much to help her and immediate intervention is required.
Thanks!

DV --- POWA ! And as they are a national organization, the Cape Town branch will be able to give you contact details for Joburg to send to her. They can help with advice, support, and legal / escape / safety advice, too.

3
Posted by: Domestic Violence | 2003/12/09

I have contacted POWA and I have given my friend the Jhb Contact details and she is moving out. Thanks for the advice.

Reply to Domestic Violence
Posted by: Sugar | 2003/12/05

It is very admirable that you are trying to help a friend - but - based on my experience - it aint gonna help. She is the only one who can take charge of the sitation & if she felt she was ready to make the change, she would have sorted it. You are a good friend, but all that you can do is listen and give her advise - but she has to be the one to make the move!
Good Luck - good friend!

Reply to Sugar
Posted by: Woman | 2003/12/04

I've heard of POWA - not sure what the no in your region is.
Try them - get a restraining order agains the man if needed

good luck

Reply to Woman