Posted by: Conserned Mom | 2008/08/28

Help, my child is overweight

Goodday, my daughter of 7yrs is overweight. She was a heavy baby (4kg) at birth and we have done EVERYTHING that everyone suggests. She eats very healthy and excersises. The whole family eat the healthy food with her. She picks up 1kg per month... it never ends. Please suggest someone who is an expert in this field who we can talk to!

Dear Concerned Mom
If you daughter is steadily gaining weight at the rate of 1 kg per month and is already overweight then it is essential that you have her examined by a physician to see if there is an underlying physiological condition (e.g. diabetes, thyroid hormone or other hormonal problems) that is driving this weight gain. If she is given a clean bill of health then you may have to have her assessed by a clinical psychologist because some children turn to food when they are anxious or depressed. If she does have a metabolic problem such as insulin imbalances then please take her to a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will work out a low-fat, low-glycaemic index diet for your child that will promote weight loss, improve her insulin and blood glucose levels and help her to lose weight. Also keep in mind that physical exercise is one of the most important factors in helping children to lose weight. Encourage her to be as active as possible and if necessary let her join a gym or Walk for Life.

Posted by: Conserned Mom | 2008/08/29

Thank you so much. I already saw our Physisian this morning, they took a LOT of blood from her and will run a series of tests.

thanks for the advise!!

Reply to Conserned Mom