Question
Posted by: Lea | 2008/01/11

Help - My cat is a bully!!!

Can someone please give me advice on my cat.

He is 11 months old (neutered) and my other cat 3 year (female and spayed), they love each other and have a ball. My problem is the rest of the cats in the complex where I live.

My cats have access to the front garden as the dogs are in the back and they don't get on. My male (Nougat) goes into my neighbours house (she has 3 female cats) and pins them to the ground and bites them on the throat. These 3 cats are so terrified that when they hear Nougat's bell around his neck, they actuall pee or poo in the house. They refuse to go out, incase they run into Nougat. My neighbour chases him out her house when she is there, but that is only in the afternoon when she gets back from work.

He also recently started bullying another cat in the complex and he literally sits ontop of them while they are on their backs and bite their necks.

He only started this about 2 months ago, so I dont know why he has started this behaviour. He is such a lovable kitty with me and so soft and meak with my female cat, but all the other cats are a problem. My neighbours are complaining and I don't know what to do about this.

Can anyone please give me advice? I don't want to lock him inside the house when I am at work because they are so used to roaming outside during the day. Please, if you have any suggestions it would be much appreciated.

You will have to restrict his movement to prevent him getting to the other cats. Its not fair on them either.

3
Posted by: Lea | 2008/01/11

Thanks guys, I will keep him inside for now. I have also sent Anna an e-mail, hopefully she gets back to me soon so that we can sort the problem.

Reply to Lea
Posted by: Blaah | 2008/01/11

i would suggest in the meantime till you can find a solution that you do lock your cat in
it will be safer for him and the other cats
but especially for him

the last thing you want it for some neighbour to take things into thier own hands

i lost my male cat last year on christmas day
we usually locked him up when we weren't home or at night
unfortunately we were in a hurry and thought he would be fine outside this once while we weren't home
wrong

he was killed though he never went into other peoples homes (he was an ex ferral and didn't like strangers) he only protected his yard so he did not wonder badly

but he did bring home some rabbits and that was why we locked him up so he couldn't kill someones elses pets

the once in four months that we left him out he became victim of mistaken identity (or s we think) as there is anoher cat here that looks almost the same that goes into other peoples homes and steals and terrorises other cats, and pees everywhere (he has paid us some visits now that our cat is gone).

take Kates advice or get a behaiourist
but in the meantime keep him locked up till you can fix this problem

you don't want him being taken away by some vengeful neighbour or worse

good luck

Reply to Blaah
Posted by: Kate | 2008/01/11

Here goes crazy Kate again but google animalspirit or Anna Breytenbach and see if they can help.
I have had good results with my consultations with them.
Just google and decide for yourself if this a route worth taking.

Reply to Kate