Question
Posted by: MB1 | 2008/05/27

Help me understand please!!!!

Went for my first scan yesterday. According to my dates i should be 8 weeks according to scan i am 7 weeks and 1 day this is not my concern though. They found an amount of fluid in the lower uterine segment and not sure what the cause is. The doctor said the gestational sac appears normal and i must make sure for the next 5 weeks i take it extremely easy and don't do any thing that outs strain on my body. He said if i don't start bleeding in that time i should be fine. The foetal heart rate is 153bpm is this normal? As this is a pregnancy after a stillborn last year i am very concerned. the doctor also seemed concerned about the foetal size and asked me if it compares to my dates and i said it's out about 6 days. Please tell me if this fluid in the lower uterine segment can cause any harm to the baby. He did say it could be mucus as he first thought the uterus is leaking fluid. Please put my mind at ease. I cried the whole night because i don't think i will be able to get over loosing another baby.

Without seeing the scan it is difficult to say what the fluid is. It could be blood, in which case, as you doctor says, the pregnancy will need careful monitoring. The difference in your scan dates and last period is within normal limits. You may have ovulated a day or two later than expected. The fetal heart rate is normal. Unfortunately, the next few weeks will be an anxious period, but you will have to see how things progress in that time.