Question
Posted by: Louise | 2004/01/13

Help me to do the RIGHT exercise

Hi I'm a 21 year old female. I weight about 54 and is 1.51m tall. I don't mind about my weight cos it's the normal weight for my body structure. I would just like to shape my body. I must say I'm happy with everything except for my upper legs, thights and butt. Is there any simple home exercise that I can do to help me lose some of the fat around these areas??

Please help me to get rid of my pear shaped body.

Hi Louise

What I would suggest for you is a regular routine of cardio exercises such as walking, spinning, jogging. From home, I guess running and walking is the way to go. Now, doing specific exercises is going to do a little for you, but you must bear in mind that you can't really try and reduce the fat around your stomach, thighs and abdominals by just doing exercises for those areas. This kind of exercise, using specific muscles only, actually burns fewer calories than exercising large muscles groups in dynamic cardiovascular exercise such as walking, jogging, running, swimming or cycling. In order to burn the fat, you need to do these types of cardiovascular exercises as least 4 - 5 times a week for at least 30 - 45 minutes. This will help to increase the amount of calories that you use and help to decrease your body fat.

Having said that, it is still important to do some strengthening and toning exercise and obviously to include exercises that make use of the muscle groups in your abdominal area. The exercises that you do will depend on whether you have access to a gym or you do body weight exercises at home. I would suggest you have a look at the following programme on the Health 24 site.

Go to "Fitness" and then click on "Shape up". Here you will find a number of different programmes, including one for walking, another for running 10 km, and a cycling one. You can choose which you prefer. These programmes contain both cardiovascular (good for weight loss) and resistance training (for toning the muscles) and so are good overall complete programmes.

Lastly, keep in mind that this is a very common problem, and changes in certain areas can happen very slowly, because some people do just have a specific distribution of fat, and it can be hard to fight against this.

However, be patient and keep at it!