Question
Posted by: worried friend | 2007/03/05

help me help her

I have made a new friend, who is an absolute delight to be with. we immediately hit it off and enjoy each other's company immensly!

Unfortunately she has anorexia. (self confessed) I'm not quite sure how to deal with it without making it a huge issue which might influence our friendship. I've always been health conscious and believe in eating healthy regular meals and excercising. - i exercise a whole lot and am worried that she will want to join in but not have proper nutrition and make her situation even worse. How do i support her without making her not eating seem ok. Is there anything I should be doing to help her - or should i just leave it be. I know its a disorder / disease and takes a whole lot of work to sort it out - I'm like a fish out of water here. She says she can't affort to get treatment or therapy right now.. but what is to be done in the interim?

Be enthusiastic about your own healthy lifestyle, and if she wants to join you make it clear that this is a package deal --- the exercise programs can ONLY come with the proper healthy eating. She COULD afford to get therapy ( that shouldn't be an excuse ) as she could get treatment at a good state / provincial hospital, or at her nearest Medical School.