Question
Posted by: Mercury | 2003/01/21

Help ID a large human intestinal parasite

Late last year I did a combined liver purge and parasite cleanse, just a preventative and precautionary thing. SURPRISE!!! There were a few dozen large parasites eliminated. These were similarly shaped but variously sized, with the largest being about 1.0 to 1.5 cm in length and about 0.75 to 1.0 cm in crossection. But, these do not have a worm shape. They have roundish bodies with leg-like appendages at both ends. The surface color appeared tan on the bodies and brown on the appendages, presumably because they were in the intestine. Two of the larger ones were preserved in a clear glass bottle with a couple of drops of Chlorox bleach and of course the coloration left and these parasites became translucent and almost transparent in the clear water.

I took these bleached specimens to my internist, who examined them and sliced one for microscopic examination. He did not come up with an ID. Previously I had searched the web somewhat diligently for images of parasites. Several sites were found but they only had images of wormlike and/or microscopic parasites - nothing even close to what I eliminated. There was a text entry for a "fuzz ball," but I could never find an image.

I am keenly interested in IDing these little buggers. Any help (references, mug shots, web sites, etc.) would be greatly appreciated. I can offer more description and did take a couple of digital pics of the parasites, if that would help.

Bugged, debugged and rebugged,
Mercury

Mercury, I just don’t know enough about parasites to be able to identify them from your description. The problem is that it might just have been part of the parasite, the immature form or even just the eggs. You can mail the pics to netdoc@mweb.co.za and I’ll have a look. If you’re interested I can mail you a copy of an article I wrote on worms a while back. Good luck.