Question
Posted by: CK | 2005/07/05

Help getting fat

I stopped smoking 2 months ago today and have picked up a whopping 5kg of pure fat - gross!!! I have been indulging in all the wrong foods and have been weak, using not smoking as an excuse. My major problem is, my sweet tooth which I have always had even while smoking except now it seems more intensified. I have always eaten sugar free clorets so it hasn't been a problem as far as weight gain goes, but now the supplier is out of stock and no shops have any supplies, so I am forced to eat sugar candies now. I eat about 2 packets of the cherry halls a day along with sugar free gum. Will eating these halls cause me to gain more weight and I am also trying to loose some body fat by cutting down, with eating all this sugar prevent me from loosing weight?? Can you prossiby offer another healthy alternative and please don't suggest fruit, I have tried that one too, perhaps another non fattening idea???

Dear CK
Congratulations on stopping smoking. There are some sugar-free products that you can consider such as the sugar-free gum. Research has indicated that chewing something that is sweet but does not contain any energy (sugar-free gum) tricks the body into believing that it is receiving energy. So while the sugar-free clorets are out of stock, stick to the sugar-free gum - there are many pleasant flavours available which should prevent monotony. Low-energy snacks include celery sticks, carrots, baby tomatoes, and plain, unbuttered popcorn. You could also try doing exercise to counteract this weight gain and firm up. Start going for brisk walks every day for 30 min or join a good gym or Walk for Life.
Hang in there

1
Posted by: CK | 2005/07/06

Thanks for the advice, but that still does not answer my question regarding if consuming halls (sugar) will prevent weightloss. I do eat sugar free chewing gum all day and I do gym 6 times a week for no less that 60 min cardio + toning but I still feel like I am getting fat.

Reply to CK