Question
Posted by: foxy | 2004/09/27

Help! Foxies rip up everything

I have 2 little fox terriers, 1 male and 1 female who have both been sterilized. Everytime we leave the house to go to work, or even for 15 mintus, they wreak havvok and rip up ANYTHING they see! including our expensive couches. We leave so much toys for them and we cover the couches with sheets secured with safety pins. They still manage to get through.

PLEASE HELP!!1

Hi Foxy
You may need more help than I can give you on this forum(Contact an Animal Behaviourist at ABC www.animal-behaviour.org.za), but it sounds like you have a case of separation anxiety in your two dogs. This can be treated with a new drug called Clomicalm at the same time as a behavioural program. You need to get your dogs used to you being away for short periods, or even out of the room, before you leave them for longer. Perhaps get some treatballs, congs or other smart toys which will keep them occupied. Rotate the toys so they only have a couple each per day. Remove the couch or other valuables from the room. Before you go out you will then not feed them (the food's in the toys), ignore them for 20 minutes and leave without any fuss. Coming home should be uneventful as well, with you ignoring them for a few minutes before greeting each one calmly.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

1
Posted by: Carol | 2004/09/28

They are telling u in fox terrier language that they dont want to be alone .

U are going to have to confine these two little blighters to a doggie proof room.

I wonder if a product to keep pets off the furniture will help ? I cant think of any names now but have a look at yr vet.

Reply to Carol