Posted by: justamom | 2008/10/30

help for troubled teen

My 16 year old is not performing in school, bunking and has just tested positive for marijuana. Please help me with information to seeking help as he does not want to listen to me.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageTeen expert


a good place to start will be with the school counsellor if the school has one. They can advise on the way forward and recommend some psychologists in your area who work well with adolescents. Overall, bear in mind that their behaviour will primarily be about unhappiness and it is that that will need attention.
Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: justamom | 2008/11/14

thank you. We have made some grounds since my plea for help. You are right, he is desperately unhappy and part of the problem is me (my constant critique re his school career). We both are committed to work on it and he is in a much happier space. I have lowered my emphasis on academic achievement and am now focusing on his emotional well being. He has also tested negative for the follow-up drug test.

Reply to justamom

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.