Question
Posted by: mom | 2002/12/07

help for overactive thyroid

i am very concerned about my brother who was recently diagnosed with an overactive thyroid.he lost 22kgs and suffered with severe heart palpitations.he is on neomercazole (and initially took purblocker to stop the palpitations for approx. 6 weeks)however he still gets palpitations( though not as often as before), CHEST PAIN and severe exhaustion.is there anything more that can be done to help him and is it safe for him to do mild excersise when possible and if yes what type.Lastly will he ever gain back the weight he lost as he is now very underweight.please help!
thanks

Mom, the best would be to make sure that his thyroid hormone levels have returned to normal before he does anything else. He can have blood taken for a thyroid function test and this will tell him whether the thyroid is still overactive or not. If everything is normal he is welcome to gym. He will also start gaining weight as soon as his thyroid hormone levels have returned to normal. Good luck.
PS. I’m sorry I took so long to answer your question, but I was sick. Actually I’m still not feeling well, but I’m trying.