Question
Posted by: Lizzy | 2007/08/23

Help for fitness...PLEASE?

Hello, I need urgent help please. I am 24 years old and am about 10-15kg's overweight. Will I lose weight if I eat normal meals with my parents but just cut down on the portions? Also, I need to start exercising but every time I start, I get very nauseous and out of breath! I do about 2-3 mins on a stepper and then I'm exhausted and I can only do about 5-10 situps before I feel like passing out. I used to be able to do 45mins of tae-bo with no difficulty but my fitness levels have obviously decreased dramatically. What low-impact exercise should I start off with? I cannot walk for exercise as I have no one to join me and I do not want to gym alone. In other words, I need to do something at home but start off slowly. PLEASE HELP?

Hi Lizzy
Yes eating smaller portions of low fat food will definitely help. To get your fitness levels up you need to do cardiovascular exercises, meaning walking, running, riding a bicycle, doing step-ups.
See this article: http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/activity/startexercise.htm

1
Posted by: anxious | 2007/08/23

You can walk - join a Walk for Life class - the groups are fantastic and you will also meet friendly people there. The classes are designed for any level right from beginners to advanced levels and all staff are fully trained and allocate programmes differently for each individual. I joined a class in May for medical reasons and, believe me, I was more unfit than you can imagine. They start you on 5 mins walking only for your first 2 sessions and up your time 2.5mins every third session thereafter. Its a safe and well controlled way of doing exercise, they monitor your progress regularly and are extremely encouraging and professional. One other point that my Walk for Life manager mentioned is that you don't necessarily know what your pulse rate should be for age/level of fitness/weight etc when doing exercise. All this info is assessed for each individual and provided at all the classes. It really is worth considering. I enjoy my classes a lot and cannot believe how much my fitness has improved. I go Tues and Thurs every week to evening classes. Look at their website and see what you think. Its runwalkforlife .co.za

Reply to anxious