Question
Posted by: Friend | 2005/07/06

Help for depression

How does one support an adult deteriorating with depression? The person has been seeing a psychiatrist for a prolonged period of time and has a history of depression, but the medication and variations of medication are not helping anymore. (they are obviously still trying). I can not sit back and not do something anymore (except for being a friend) because things are visibly getting worse. The person is also living alone and not taking care of daily tasks anymore. On the other hand, I want be sensitive, and not make things worse by taking actions that might not be helping at all.

Could you perhaps ask to see the shrink, to ask for more specific advice about what you might do to help ?

3
Posted by: Got the t-shirt | 2005/07/07

Talk about as proud as you are it doesn't make you less human it gets so bad listening to it afterward it sounds like you were drunk when you were trying to supress all the anger or rage or hurt part of being human comes with feelings and our blessid tripe and the works

Reply to Got the t-shirt
Posted by: Hope | 2005/07/06

My husband has a bad history of depression whereby most members of his family have ended up committing suicide. He lost his job las year and is very depressed. He is very angry and drinks alcohol excessively. How do I get him to see somebody as he does not think he is on depression but sees me and everybody else against him.

Reply to Hope
Posted by: sunflower | 2005/07/06

thats a tough one, can't wait to see what CS and others have to say about this one. if the meds aren't working at least in the beginning then i don't know. but wanting to get better helps alot as well, my meds also stopped working but i had been going for cognitive behaviour sessions alot and it helped me to learn that much of it has to do with our way of thinking and interpreting things. one good thing you are doing is trying to find a way to support the person, depressed people need this kind of support even if its just someone that will sit and cry with them.

good luck and lets see what the others say.

Reply to sunflower