Question
Posted by: Worried Boyfriend | 2010/03/01

Help for a bulimic

Hi there,

I am in search of help for my bulimic girlfriend but we have an unique situation, as most people do. I am 25 and she is 21 we lived together here in Cape Town for 5 months until her inability to purge (because she was afraid I would find out) turned into some kind of phycological rejection/dislike of me cause she can''t experience the rush/high of purging. This put immense strange on our relationship until she subsequently moved out and we broke up. A few days later in attempt to salvage our relationship she admitted to me that she has been struggling with bulimia since high school and her parents isn''t supportive in any manner of her disorder.

Thus I would like to help the person I love as much as anyone of my relative maybe even more but with my salary I do not think I will be able to afford treatment. So I write to you with the hope of help of some sorts. I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction or refer my situation to someone that can help.

I thank you for taking the time to read my email and hope to hear back soon.

Dear Worried Boyfriend
Your girl friend is lucky to have someone as caring as you in her life. Bulimia is an Eating Disorder which needs to be treated with a team approach. Your girl friend should consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or she can ask her gp to refer her), to help her work out what underlying psychological problems are driving her to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. She should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist her to get back to eating normally again. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400, who have an Eating Disorder unit. However if you have limited funds, then it may help to contact the Medical School at UCT to ask if there is an Eating Disorder clinic at Grootte Schuur Hospital
Try and persuade your girl friend to go for expert help ASAP. There are quite a few articles concerning bulimia on this Website: click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then do a Search with 'bulimia' to obtain more information and also some data to convince her to get assistance before she ruins her young life.
Holding thumbs for the two of you.

1

Dear Worried Boyfriend
Holding thumbs for the two of you.