Question
Posted by: Andrea | 2004/01/19

Help - eye injury complications after acute trauma to head/eye

Dear Cyberdoc
My husband was in a serious bike accident and is now out of hospital but still in semi-coma in a rehab centre. His right eye pupil is a size 6, fixed, reddish around it and has a membrane growth over it due to the trauma. Apparently the optic nerve is not damaged, but I heard the pupil 'blew' at the impact. Do you think I should get surgery done on this eye, and how urgently should I do it? The doctors havent said anything thus far on operations for it, have just been putting medication in it such as corticosteroidal stuff etc, but I havent seen any improvement. Its been the same for 2 1/2 months. They dont seem to know if he can see or not. The other eye appears more normal but the pupil is also larger due to the medicine and maybe also from the swelling he had on the brain (diffuse TBI). How could I find out if he can see at all, while he is barely responsive? I have no idea what the possible prognosis may be. Can you help me?
Thank you,
Andrea VR

Andrea, I’m sorry to hear about your husband. The best would be to have him evaluated by a neurologist and an ophthalmologist as soon as he becomes responsive. I suppose that if he needs surgery, the sooner the better, but he first has to become a bit better. Good luck.