Question
Posted by: Lizzy | 2007/04/02

HELP? Declawing a puppy?!

Hi there, I sent my three and a half month old maltese to the parlour for his first trim this weekend and when we got back home i noticed that they had declawed the two little nails on the back of his front legs (not on his feet / toes). He doesn't seem to be in any pain and there is no scarring, but i was just quite shocked and was wondering if this can be done? I feel so sorry for him as i can just imagine how painful that must have been! Thanks alot!

The removal of claws is often done to prevent them becoming snagged and injured causing pain to the dog. The procedure should always be done by a veterinary surgeon with the patient under anaesthetic. It is an act of veterinary surgery!

4
Posted by: Chill | 2007/04/02

Sheesh - sounds like a huge fuss about very little

Declawing means taking off the entire little 'toe' - not just the nail. This must be done by an expert, and no parlour would have any business with that at all - but all they seem to have done is cut the nail really short.

The reason there's no wound and he's ok is simply because it wouldn't have hurt.

Dewclaws often do give trouble - either by growing into the flesh, or by ripping or tearing - now THAT would be painful, and that's the reason they're often removed.

Personally, I think I'd just relax and chill....

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Lizzy | 2007/04/02

My husband went to the parlour today and asked them about it. Apparently they say that they have just cut it very short so that it cannot curl around and hurt the pup, but I'll have a really good look and feel around the little pad to see if i can find even a trace of a nail. I will be so happy to find something left over of the nail!

Reply to Lizzy
Posted by: Blaah | 2007/04/02

this must be one of the most disgusting things i have ever heard
how dare they remove anything from you doggie without consulting with you first.

Since when does a doggie parlour have a vets licence anyway??????

I totally agree with WR..............

Kick up a real stink about this whole thing ............
go as far as you can ............
i would have had a complete fit if some one dared to do any such thing to my babies with out my knowledge ..........

go to yor local Record/newspaper and report it
heck contact the Animal Anti Cruelity League

they had no right !!!!

they have endangered your doggies life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
taking vet procedures into their own hands.......

Keep us posted

Reply to Blaah
Posted by: WR | 2007/04/02

Hi there!

You mean to say they took of the dew-claws on the front legs?!?!? Get your doggie to the Vet First of all - have him check her out and see if there is any infection etc. I believe that only a Vet should do it - and only if recommended by him. Go back to the Parlour, DEMAND to speak to the person who did it and the manager. Find out why they did, you weren't phoned (if there where any problems), and then you phone your local newspaper and let them do an article on this. Make sure that this cannot happen again. I'm sure you have some legal rights......so contact your lawyer if you want.

No parlour or Vet etc, have any right to do any procedure on your animals if the said animal is in their care except for emergencies - and then only the Vet.

Keep us posted!

Reply to WR