Question
Posted by: Jo | 2005/01/04

Help can't gain weight

Please help, I can't keep weight on, my weight keeps flucuating between 46kg and 50kg, when I was pregnant it went up to 68kg, I eat healthily but have been told that I have a high metabolic rate. My height is 1.75m.

Any suggestions on how 2 at least keep my weight at 50kg if not gaining weight.

Dear Jo
Yes, your weight is far too low, with a BMI of 16, which is far below normal (18-25). If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Fresenius Kabi have a supplement called Fresubin (with or without fibre) that can assist with this problem. Phone Magda on (011) 203-2000 or 083-603-2231 and ask her about this and other Nutritional Supplements.