Question
Posted by: Panicking! | 2004/12/02

Help! Anyone know how to control panic attacks

Hi Everyone,

I am oging to do my Drivers License in an hour, I have failed twice already due to nervousness. My heart is palpatating, my breath is short, I have a headache, I am sweating uncontrollably. I want to cry.

I know this is pathetic!

YOu're not pathetic at all. Either you'll pass today, or not. If you do --- congratulations. If not, then as well as some further driving lessons to add to whatever area of your expertise proved less than excellent, see a shrink BEFORE the next driving test, to try meds and psychological CBT, to control the panic symptoms long before you get into the situation that makes you feel so bad.
And Shauns' suggestion is excellent ( now, I wodner who it was HE tauiht to drive ? ) about getting a dad or brother to give you lessons before next time, as they tend to get so darn jumpy and irritable, that any Examiner will seem cuddly by comparison.

5
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/12/02

Sorry you failed. & no you're not useless.
I would say use this time to get in as much practise as you can so you become confident at the wheel, so when you have your next test, you might not even worry about that examiner coz you will know you are good.
Have you ever driven with your dad, or boyfriend while trying to learn? If you haven't then use them coz they can be so difficult with you that the examiner will seem like a push-over.

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Panicking! | 2004/12/02

I FAILED - I AM SO USELESS! Mona, you metioned u know someone - who, where! Any help will be appreciated.
I just started crying, I feel really terrible.

Reply to Panicking!
Posted by: Dude | 2004/12/02

Hi there...

only thing i know that works is concerntratin on ur breathin as though nothin else exists in the world...

best of luck with the drivers... u will pass it so just relax, its not the end of the world and u can drive me around all day practicin whilst i spliff drivin comments at u...

Cheers
Dude

Reply to Dude
Posted by: Mona | 2004/12/02

Sounds like your nerves are shot!! Just relax, take it easy, those coppers are just normal people, doing their daily job. Dont even think of it as a test, you are just taking someone for a drive!

Easy to talk, when i did mine i ended up 90 degrees in the wrong way whilst parrallel parking... luckily 2nd try i got i right!

Which testing grounds you going to?? I know people there....

Reply to Mona
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/12/02

I am so sorry but I know nothing about controlling panic attacks. All I can say is try not think about the previous times, try to pace your breathing out evenly, taking deep breadths & counting, maybe till 10 between breadths. I have sometimes heard that putting you head between your legs may help. I also think the sweating comes with the panic, nervousness & other symptoms.

This is not pathetic. My cousin went for his learner's 6 times, then got his license on the 11th try.

Hang in there, think calm thoughts, some-one mentioned once, think pink...

Best of luck with you test, just think you can do it!!!

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun