Question
Posted by: NSD | 2008/01/11

Help - allergic bronchitis in dogs

I have a four year old Siberian Husky that suffers from allergic bronchitis. It breaks my heart to hear her coughing and wheezing and although I take her to the vet at the onset of every attack, the attacks are bcoming more regular. My concern is that the cortisone tablets, antihistamines and injections can't be very good for her. She has also recently been spayed and is gaining weight. Has anybody experienced something similar or have a remedy that works. I'm at my wits end.

There is food formulated for speyed animals to help keep the weight down. With regards to the allergic bronchitis how was the diagnosis made and what medication is she on besides steroids and antihistamines? Is she on these all the time?

2
Posted by: NSD | 2008/01/25

The diagnosis was made after an x-ray of her lungs and some blood tests. I am aware of the allergy tests but haven't gone this route due to the cost involved. I have no plants in my back yard and have come to the conclusion that she might be allergic to grass. Her allergies also seem far worse during the time she sheds her hair and after the lawn has been mowed.
She's not on medication all the time but as her condition gets worse the periods where she is on no medication have become few and far between. She also seems to be coughing continously even with the medication. Would you perhaps know of a specialist vet in the Port Elizabeth area?

Reply to NSD
Posted by: Chill | 2008/01/11

The thing to do is to find out what she's allergic to - which isn't necessarily very easy at all!

Take a good look at your environment - some plants shed a lot of bits at this time of the year, maybe that's the reason it's becoming more regular. If that's the case, the symptoms should ease once the season changes. Alternatively, if you can determine for sure that it's some plant or shrub or tree, you could consider removing it. There are allergy tests that can be done, but they're quite complicated and not cheap. You could consider consulting a specialist vet, who may have particular experience in your dog's condition, and could make useful suggestions as to what you could do.

Also: it's a bit of a myth that dogs gain weight when they're spayed or neutered - if they gain weight, under normal circumstances, it's because they eat more than their energy output demands - so either, they must get more exercise, or less food.

However: cortisone can cause weight gain, so before you put your dog on a diet, just talk to your vet about this.

Reply to Chill