Question
Posted by: Self | 2011/05/31

Help

I am unemployed young man with a Bcom degree. Is there hope// It has been six months now and i am scared that I am gonna lose my house. Am dominated by suicide thoughts.

There must be and should be hope. But do see a psychiatrist as soon as practical ; you can do this directly or by going to the casualty department of any major state / provincial hospital and asking to see a psychiatrist, explaining that you are feeling suicidal and need help. You are depressed and can be greatly helped by treatment, and at a state / provincial hospital costs would be related to your income, and so potentially free.
The job situation is far from easy, but it should be practical, especially for someone with a qualification such as yours. Various authorities regularly complain about a lack of work-seekers with qualifications like yours.
I am sure other readers can advise, from within the jobs market, as to how to improve your chances of success.
If there are financial problems, such as your house, other readers can also advise here, based on their own experiences. For instance, do discuss the problem with your bank - they should be able to work with you to make a plan to save the house, defer payments, or explore possibly downsizing your home more affordably - they claim to be experts on that sort of thing, and should want you to remain in your home.

8
Posted by: Woman | 2011/06/02

Wow, Self, this is wonderful news!! Congratulations and good luck!

Reply to Woman
Posted by: Self | 2011/06/01

Thanks to you all, today I managed to secure a three months contract with the hope of going permanent. I am grateful to you all. Thanks a million.

Reply to Self
Posted by: Nikky | 2011/06/01

Hi Self,

Go under Debt Review. Look in the newspaper for a Debt Counselor who will negotiate with the bank as to what you can afford to pay whilst unemployed. As the others write, look for any job, just to keep the wolves from the door. Best wishes.

Reply to Nikky
Posted by: Caro )line | 2011/06/01

Talk to your bank and downsize your home, but preferably stay in the market. Once that is sorted out you will feel less hopeless. I don''t know which university you studied at, but find out about enrolling for a post-grad course and apply for a bursary. Offer assistance as a tutor either at the department or private tuition for students on notice boards. These little jobs can lead to big opportunites while covering the bills. And if you are enrolled as a student you are more likely to be employed by them. Most universities also have a list of companies to which their graduates can apply. Good luck and best wishes.

Reply to Caro )line
Posted by: Woman | 2011/05/31

If you can''t find a job, make one. With a B.com you are good with maths and accountancy, yes? Advertise yourself as a tutor, or see if you can join a tutor company like master maths or equivalent. As for your home, if you speak to the bank, they will help you.

Keep positive, start thinking outside the box of regular employment, be creative and have hope. See this as a character building exercise - you will be a better person for this experience.

Good luck!

Reply to Woman
Posted by: Realist | 2011/05/31

It may sound trite, but you have to go out there every single day and chase down any sort of job, temping is always a good place to start. Register yourself with a Personnel Company, PAG for example and do not be proud or picky. Wherever you are sent do your absolute best while there and make a big impression. Go to the Supermarkets big or small and find out if you can be taken on for stock taking or after hours shelf packing.
No matter what obstacles are placed in your way if you are not a BEE candidate !!! People are looking for people who CAN DO THE JOB !! Believe in yourself. So get out there and give it hell !!

Reply to Realist
Posted by: Romany | 2011/05/31

It is a terrible time we are living in in this Country at the moment..... my heart bleeds for you !!
My daughter came from Dubai for 3 weeks recently with the sole purpose of voting and waiting for the results and hoping and hoping. After the results came out she got back on the plane and left............
Discuss the matter of your house with the bank holding the bond. It will be cheaper for them to try and help you than to take legal action, sit with yet another property in posession that no-one can afford, put security into your empty house as it will be destroyed nd vandalised if empty.
You should play open cards with everyone now.
Then, do not focus solely on the field in which you have studied. Look broader and wider. You may even have to do something totally unrelated to what you studied and even something that you hate with a passion.
The main thing is to find work that will pay you a salary and that may lead to better options in the future.
Unfortunately it is not easy to get work overseas without some experience. So do get some experience in anything at all and then find a job abroad and like the rest of our qualified youth.... just leave and make a living for yourself in a country that appreciates your effort and contribution.
Sad but true

Reply to Romany