Posted by: Bululu | 2008/10/03

Hi I am 21 years old and have a history of panic attacks and anxiety, I havnt had a panic attack in 4 years but for some odd reason on EID day (I am muslim) I got a severe panic attack in the mosque I went berzerk I didnt even know if it was a panic attack because I hadnt had them in such a long time my heart was probably racing at 200bpm or over not only that it was skipping beats which intensified my anxiety I had slight chest pain and my mouth was very dry, now I did see a Cardiologist about my skipped beats 2 years ago because I was paranoid about them and he did everything ECG, EKG, stress everything was normal, I train alot I recently started taking a Zinc,magnesium,Bit B6 complex do you think that might have triggered it?I went to the ER that day and the ecg was normal, I have been on cipramil 20mg for a long time do you think that the the vit complex might have interacted with the meds etc. I am so paranoid that my heart will go into a dangerous arrythmia please help!

SOme people find that anxiety and panic attacks can occur especially at times when it would seem especially awful for it to happen --- in a mosque or church, at a funeral, at a business interview --- one may grow fearful that it MIGHt happen at such an inconvenient and embarrassing place or time, and then this anticipatory anxiety increases the risk that it will indeed happen. The symptoms you describe do sound very like a Panic attack, with the dry mouth, rapid pulse and so on. And its typical, because your system is at that time being flooded with panic chemicals, that someone having such an attack fears they will have a heart attack or otherwise die, or go mad, and so on. Fortunately, these awful possibilities do not happen, but it certainly feels as though they might.
Usually exercise helps, but more specific treatment of the panic attacks would help more. Some meds also used to treat depression such as Cipramil can help reduce anxiety and panic atacks, as can the talking therapy Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) which helps you learn to regain control over these situations and symptoms. There is no need to continue to sufer these unpleasant and inconvenient symptoms --- see a good local psychiatrist for assessment and treatment, and clear them up