Question
Posted by: Lauls | 2008/07/30

Help

I am battling to lose weight. I do gym 4 times a week. I eat pretty healthily. Breakfast 2 slices toast with peanut butter or egg (no oil). Snacks are usually a fruit, yoghurt, energy bar or cashew nuts (raw) or snack bread &  low fat cottage cheese. Lunch I norrmally have a tuna pasta salad with veg (wholewheat) &  low fat mayo, or a sandwiche (wholewheat &  edam cheese). Supper I have veg &  chicken or fish &  sometimes baby potatoes. Sometimes I will have a wholewheat Pasta for dinner with veg and tomato paste. I treat myself once or twice a week to a chocolate. I drink 2 - 3 cups of tea a day with half a spoon of brown sugar and low fat milk. So thats how I eat. And I am not losing weight - dont know what to do anymore!! Please help me.

Dear Lauls
I can't really judge what is going on because you don't list your present weight in kg and height in metres so that I can work out your BMI to see if you are overweight or not. It is possible that you are ingesting more energy than you require (the peanut butter, nuts, energy bar, mayo and sugar could be increasing your energy intake?). For weightloss it is good to reduce your energy intake to 6300 kJ per day. Otherwise if you are already close to your normal weight then your body would resists losing more weight. Also make sure that the exercise you do at the gym is mainly aerobic or cardio (jogging, spinning, skipping, rowing, swimming) because working with weights will firm you up and build muscle tissue, but it does not burn as much energy as cardio exercise. If this persists and you are very overweight, then it may be a good idea to have a medical checkup to see if you suffer from hormone imbalances (female hormone, thyroid or insulin).