Posted by: Mia | 2008/06/09


Do older woman go through mentals problems later on in their lives? When i say older i mean like 47.Why are they more irritable and find an issue with everything especially their adult children and always trying to control their lives.My future mum in law moved away from another province come live with us, but i don't think she is adjusting very well as yesterday morning she refused to come out of her room and said she will stay there till she perishs because everyone ignores her.Which is not true as we go out of our way to include her in our outing and basically we do everything she asks.She is also divorced and has hopes of reconcilaition with her husband but he doesn't pay any attention to her.There are definite communication problems.Even when i try to talk to her she likes to sort out issues by shouting at you and saying very harsh words which because she is the mother has to be forgiven,She has 2 other sons who refuse to come live with her so i guess she is dealing with alot of rejection as well.The thing is i don't want her to hurt herself.What can you do in this situation when someone isn't up for counselling as they feel they are always right due to being an older person?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Older women, and men, may either develop any of the psych problems younger people can get, or some more age-related such as Alzheimers and other dementias, and a form of depression that used to be called melancholia.
But 47 isn't what most of us ( other than teens ) would consider "older" !
Then there are problems related to menopause, and to empty nest syndrome, in the sense of losing one's role as mother of kids now adult and less obviously being needed.
Sounds, indeed, as though she's struggling to cope with feelings of rejection and vlnerability, and of loss of control and significance

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: T | 2008/06/09

hey mia. dont think theres much you can do from her side. she feels discarded, her lifepartner has left her. she has been taken out of her comfort zone. just because shes older, doesnt make her less vulnerable to heartache. she probably looks at the world having fun n it freaks her out. no one has the right to be happy, when im misserable. how about ur pastor?

Reply to T

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.