Question
Posted by: Someone | 2007/06/10

help

Hi sybershrink<br>I saw the DR today and yip, depression…luckily I was not admitted into the loony bin (that’s how I felt). Well I did not tell my husband. Don’t know how…just said that the Dr said it’s a bit of tension. Problem is my hubby (love him to bits) does not believe in stuff like that and feels someone is weak if it happen to them. I’m trying to keep it up but I battle!

Well its sad if your hubby really doesnt believe in the reality and existence of Depression. Maybe hes just one of those folks who misunderstand the concept of positive thinking, and who assumes that if you pretend something unpleasantis not happening, it won't happen. Interestingly, when i happens to THEM, they generally take it seriously and believe in it ! As Maria says, try to find someone else you can tell, so you don't have to feel that it has to be a secret, or that there's something even vagely your fault for developing a common disorder.
I hope you can also find a good, preferably CBT oriented counsellor, to help you work through this even more successfully

1
Posted by: Maria | 2007/06/10

Hi Someone
It's sad that there are still people around who think that having depression is just a personal weakness. I was single at the time when I was diagnosed, but it took me a month to tell my parents. And my dad's sole response, ever, was to say "oh no". When a friend of mine was diagnosed, his wife told me that he has to take antidepressants, and made it sound as if he had committed a crime.
For starters, find someone you can tell. A friend, a sibling, a colleague... You will be amazed how many people have their own stories to tell once you open up - this is really not a rare illness. Then make sure you know all the facts yourself. Find a good book on the subject, one with a scientific approach, and ask your husband to read it.
Did your doc prescribe medication? Most of the depression meds make you feel worse before you feel better, so hang in there. I hope you doctor also referred you to a good psychologist. The meds can help up to a point, but therapy teaches you coping skills that lasts a lifetime.
Good luck, you can beat this.

Reply to Maria