Question
Posted by: Thin | 2007/04/18

Help

Hi, im 30 years old and weigh 48kg, i have 2 children and thought after my second child i would pick up weight but nothing, my eldest is 13 and she is almost as tall as me and we look like sisters rather than mother and daughter. I'm desperate to pick up weight at least wear a size 32 because at the moment i wear a 28 wich is not on for my age, i look like im 20 years. I've tried suplements and tablets but they dont work, I've got a very good apetite and eat more than every one in the house but dont know where all that food goes too, please help me i really would like to put on some weight.

Dear Thin
If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 203-2000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week.