Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2007/03/29

Help

Dear DietDoc
Pls help me, I need some guidelines for towards my eating plan, I know eating less is not always the most effective way to lose weight and your body goes into starvation mode, I just want to have a list from you or the readers of food known to give you substantial and lasting energy, I feel dead after lunch and when I get home 17:00 I usually have to go sleep for a hour I am so tired.

I want to get a list of foods that help with energy and keeps you going during the day.

Please help.!

Dear Kasandra
I would suggest that you try using an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). This diet should prevent you from feeling so tired and washed out because it provides sufficient unprocessed carbs as fuel. If you still find that you are not losing weight and feel so tired after lunch then I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because you may be suffering from hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) and this requires the dietitian to work out a special diet prescription for your condition.