Question
Posted by: Mom | 2006/11/13

Help

How do you know when a person has an eating disorder like anorexia or bulimia? My daughter of 16 carried a bit of weight and a year ago started “watching” her diet, by cutting out all sugars, most breads, desserts etc. I watch her and haven’t noticed anything suspicious (vomiting after eating). She’s obsessed with going to gym at least 5 times a week, and gets upset when she can’t get to gym. She’s lost about 7 kg in a year. What worries me is we had pizza tonight and she refused to eat because she already had bread today. I told her that I’m concerned about her eating since pizza once in 3 months isn’t bad at all. She’s a high achiever, achieves late 80%, normally a gentle soul. She had such a tantrum that I’m still stunned. She chased me out of her room, slammed the door in my face, screaming and shouting. Do I have reason to be concerned about her eating?

This doesn't sound necessarily a problem / eating disorder, but one must keep that possibility in mind . She may well be unrealistic in terms of the degree of weight loss she thinks is appropriate, and the sort of diet she plans to use --- why not use her interest in this to get her to see a dietician in the first place, and maybe a psychologist, for assessment and advice on how to set a healthy target weight and find the healthiest way of raching that weight.

1
Posted by: Echelle | 2006/11/14

Maybe it's not just about her eating that's the problem. She is now a teenager and when I was her age I also chased my mother out of my room and shouted and my father couldn't even get near me. It's a stage she's going through. Maybe you need to get her some help, because when I was her age and did some of the same things I felt really depressed and thought about killing myself all the time. I could be wrong that she is starting to get depressed, but maybe you should ask her if she wants to see someone. Tell her that she can talk to you whenever she needs you and that you will listen to whatever she has to say, but don't fight with her, it will only make things worse. Maybe she doesn't feel good about herself. Buy her lots of fruits and healthy stuff that won't make her fat, atleast you will then now that she is healthy.

Good luck!

Reply to Echelle