Question
Posted by: Nuts and popcorn | 2006/10/27

Help

I realised this week what a bad relaltionship I have with food, form all the diets I was one I believe that fruit, nuts and a lot of vegtables are bad for you. Ive been living of sugar, bread, coffee as I didnt know what was left to eat. My skin is a mess and I suffer from candida and Im really over weight. Im trying to get my mind in the right place and focus on being healthy. Right now Im trying to cut the sugar and coffee, by eating fruits and nuts. How much nuts a day is bad for you, Im eating atleast 150g a day for now? Is plain popcorn a healthy snack that I can eat per day? Im looking for altenatives that doesnt feel like a punishment for now. Thanks

Dear Nuts & Popcorn
You cannot just eat nuts and popcorn as this will lead to deficiencies and probably will not help you to lose weight. All foods can be fattening if eaten in excess. Plain unbuttered popcorn contains 1908 kJ/100g ((454 cal or 30% of the daily energy intake for an adult woman who is trying to lose weight), or 572 kJ/30 g portion (136 kcal/30g), which represents about 9% of the daily energy for an adult woman on a slimming regimen. Nuts are healthy, but very high in energy and fat (e.g. nuts contain about 2528 kJ/100g or 604 cal/100g, thus you are eating 906 cal when you have 150 g of nuts, this represents 60% of your daily energy requirement - far too much from just one food. I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will work out a diet for you that makes provision for your multiple problems, helps you to lose weight and also helps you to sort out your incorrect eating habits.

1
Posted by: Mike | 2006/10/27

I suppose it depends on what type of nuts. Too much salted peanuts will increase your sodium levels which helps retain water. I read that almonds are good for you. Check out how much on this website under diet. There is a sectiion on fruit, nuts seeds etc with recommended maximums.
I would look for a healthier snack. What about provitas and fat-free cottage cheese. Low gi bread with tomato and low-fat cheese. Salads, baked beans, fish.
It's good to eat fruit and veg every day (they contain vitamins and fibre). Also start your day with hi-fibre bran and/or mueslie. Yoghurt and milk(fat-free) pilchards contain calcium.
I have one cup of coffee a day max with 1 sugar.
Cutting sugar is a good idea. Also cutting fizzy drinks and drinking water.

Reply to Mike