Question
Posted by: Angel | 2004/11/25

HELP!

My daughter is 4yrs old and is suffering from some kind of trauma / nervous problem that leaves her grinding her teeth, at night (in her sleep), so much so that her teeth have actually been ground right down!

I got divorced in February 2003 and her father has had visitations with her, on and off, for the past year and a bit. Recently, he decided that he doesn't want any involvement in his daughter's life. Unfortunately, the problem with the grinding of the teeth has been going on for longer than I have been divorced. Could this be related to any tension that she might have sensed going on between her father and I?

I am desperate for an answer as I hate to have to hear her lie in bed, every single night, grinding away. It is so loud that my entire family battles to sleep and I am worried about any damage that it might cause to her mouth and mind!!!

Your hasty response would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Angel

Usually nothing at all to do with trauma. Tooth grinding, or, to give it its posh name, Bruxism, is quite common, and usually a phase that goes away on its own. If severe and persistent, some child psychologists can be very helpful, and some dentists can make an appliance to wear in the mouth to protect the teeth. Her mind will not be damaged.

4
Posted by: Apple | 2004/11/26

Hi there ME!!!!

You should read properly dear, WAKE UP...I never siad it was my opinion that intelligent people grind there teeth because i would be dissing myself its just a saying - like when a bird craps on your head you gonna get rich!!!!!! And secondly read properly it was not my child it was my 28 year old boyfriend!!!

So "ME" please if you are going to reply, do so in a good attitude!

Reply to Apple
Posted by: Zeena | 2004/11/25

Of course there is stress involved. A child picks up far more than we ever realise, but it's worse for kids, because they feel helpless. They cannot voice their worries.

Talk to her. Explain to her about you and your ex. Never ever bad-talk her daddy. Just explain that you cannot live together any more because .... whatever. In a calm way. The point is, she's probably intelligent enough to understand, but nobody ever tells her what's going on. And ask your dentist to have a look at her teeth -- kindly and gently -- and provide her with a teeth guard to use at night,

Reply to Zeena
Posted by: me | 2004/11/25

Apple, what rubbish. Only intelligent people grind their teeth?!
It's anxiety and stress related and anyone is affected. Just getting through each day is stressful.
Angel, have you taken your child to the dentist to stop any further damage to her teeth and then for some councelling to help her deal with what is bothering her which must be related to your divorce and her father.

Reply to me
Posted by: Apple | 2004/11/25

Hi my boyfriends has been grinding his teeth for ever i have been with him for 4 years and i know that his dentist had to give him porclain teeth...because he had none left...And at night he has to wear a Mouth guard like rubber thingy to protect him from grinding, i dont think it is a serious problem mentally but only causes physical damage...I also asked about this because i was worried about him having anxiety or something but thay say it happens to people who are intelligent so they think alot when they sleeping!

Hope it helps

Reply to Apple