Question
Posted by: NunontheRun | 2004/09/21

Help

I feel like i am loosing it, tried and tried to get an appoinment to see a psyciatrist, but they have such long waiting periods, but i managed to squeeze myself in to see a psyciatrist tomorrow. I suffer from panic disorder, depression, social phobia, and god knows what elsE. I last went to see a doc 3 years ago, and i have not gone back, i guess i am scared to, i am scared to face the reality that i need help
I can't struggle like this anymore, day in day out, i just need some inspiration!!! hope, something

Dear Nun,
Congratulations on recognizing that you need and deserve, help. Never be ashamed of needing help or of getting help --- be proud of being sensible enough to recognize what you need and to get it.
And on managing to squeeze into an appointment --- hope everything goes well tomorrow. I worry that many shrinks may be over-servicing their existing patients, and making it too hard for new patients to get to see them. I understand the extent of your distress. ortunately, because conditions like Depression, panic disorder, social phobia, etc., overlap greatly ( though of course they can also exist in pure forms ) --- the best treatment for them also overlaps, and can be really effective. This time, be sure you're frank with him/her and tell them about all that's worrying you, so they can make a proper and comprehensive asessment, and persist with treatment to get things worked out fine.
And as Inc suggests, why not add some self-pampering afterwards, like a massage or something similarly soothing. As for time off work, well, as this treatment works, you shouldn't be needing that extra time off work. Look forward to hearing from you tomorrow and later on.

4
Posted by: NunontheRun | 2004/09/21

only thing is, how do i get off work again? to go tomorrow, my boss doen't know about this, and i took 2 days off last week!!

Reply to NunontheRun
Posted by: NunontheRun | 2004/09/21

thanks guys!!! will let u know how it goes tomorrow!! i hope he can help me

Reply to NunontheRun
Posted by: Inc | 2004/09/21

STOP!! You are putting yourself under way too much pressure!
Go for a massage... I think you'll get an appointment for a massage sooner... and it will help you to relax. There is no shame in needing help... the shame is in knowing that you need help and not making the effort to see that you get help.... but you have made the effort... go and treat yourself somewhere... do anything that you feel will help you to relax. If you are looking for inspiration, take a look in the mirror... you may just find that special person looking back at ya!

Reply to Inc
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/09/21

There's the inspiration that you were finally able to secure an appointment. Know that you're taking the responsibility of taking care of yourself, & giving yourself the help you need to move out of the way you feel now.
Don't let the names of all the conditions get to you, just know that each one of them can be dealt with, & that you are taking the steps you need to.
Hang in there Nun, be strong, commit yourself to follow through.

I look forward to speaking to you tomorrow... See there's inspiration in that too.

Have a great evening,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun