Question
Posted by: susie | 2002/12/06

help

hi dietdoc
i am really confused and would appreciate it if you help me out.i a 16 year old female and i am 1.82m tall and weigh 66kg i know thats not bad for my height but last year this time i weighed 62 and looked and felt incredible i know i have been eating a little more but not in excess because i gym alot so i dont see it as a problem i dont undersatnd why i have picked up to much weight lately and it is reall depressing and i would really like some encouragement to loose my excess weight.and i know its fine for my height and im not trying to be anorexic i just want to look the same as i did before.
thanks
p.s.can doing more weights contribute

Dear Susie
At present your BMI = 20, which is already below the ideal of 22 for your height. One of the prime reasons for this slight weight gain and increase in BMI from 18,8 (when you weighed 62 kg), is that you are still growing and it is normal to gain some weight and height until your 20's. You must under no circumstances try to lose any more weight as this can lead to deficiencies and ultimately to anorexia. You are already tending towards an eating disorder by getting depressed even while your weight is below ideal and feeling guilty for eating 'a bit more'. If you starve yourself at this time of your life, you will develop all kinds of problems in future, including osteoporosis if you don't drink sufficient low-fat milk or eat plenty of low-fat yoghurt. Eat a normal balanced diet and continue with the exercise and you will be fine. You don't really want to look like a 15-year-old for the rest of your life do you?
Take great care